3.24.2017

The Vinedresser


I am the true vine, and my Father is the vinedresser. Every branch in me that does not bear fruit he takes away, and every branch that does bear fruit he prunes, that it may bear more fruit. Already you are clean because of the word that I have spoken to you. Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit by itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in me. I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing. If anyone does not abide in me he is thrown away like a branch and withers; and the branches are gathered, thrown into the fire, and burned. If you abide in me, and my words abide in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you. By this my Father is glorified, that you bear much fruit and so prove to be my disciples. John 15: 1-8 


++++++

John chapter 15 starts off by talking about fruit, vines, and branches. It can get a little confusing unless you understand a little bit behind the analogy that Jesus is using, and why He would choose to use such an analogy to describe Himself. 

Do you know what a vinedresser is? At first, I assumed that it was just a another name for a farmer. When I looked into the meaning of the word, I found out that a vinedresser was much more than just an ordinary farmer. The vinedresser was the one who cared for the fruit-bearing vines specifically. Caring for vines like that- such as grape vines- is no easy task. Even though they only produce fruit during certain seasons, they require much care and upkeep all year round. Pruning, fertilizing, watering, etc. takes a lot of time, and the vinedresser was the one that would take the time to do all that, in order to nurture the vines so they could grow better. Then he had to turn around and do it all over again. Most fruit-bearing vines, like grapes, are not just annual plants. They last years and years if properly cared for- but years and years of hard work are required to make sure that the desired effect of fruit is produced.

This analogy is a wonderful example of how God works in our lives. He is our Vinedresser, constantly taking care of us and guiding us so we can produce the desired effect of belonging to Him- the fruit of the Spirit. Sometimes, that requires things that we might not like so much. One thing that comes to mind is "spiritual pruning"- the things that God uses in our lives to prune us back so that eventually, we become more like Him. Often, God uses difficult times and experiences in our lives to do this. It's easy to become doubtful and wonder why God would allow us to go through tough times, and I have wondered about that myself. However, it becomes easier when we remember that God is working through those times, pruning us so we are transformed more into the likeness of His son, the true Vine.


 I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing. John 15:5 
Share with the world:

13 comments:

  1. Lovely post, as always, Emily! My dad has previously explained this in multiple of his teachings, and I love this analogy. When you really examine it, there are so many perfect parallels to the Christian walk!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bethany! There are so many great parallels in this passage to our Christian walk. I love analogies like these. :)

      Delete
  2. This is written so well you made a great description of it!! Thanks for posting this:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Kelsea, and thank YOU for reading! xx

      Delete
  3. That is awesome! I love that passage, and you described it beautifully!
    -Mikayla-

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was an awesome post!! Your post are always very thought provoking, and I thank you for them. =)
    Jaidyn Elise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jaidyn! Your comments are always so encouraging, and I thank YOU for them. =)

      Delete
    2. Your welcome!
      Awwww * blushes * thank you! Your wonderful. ;)
      Jaidyn Elise

      Delete
  5. "Even though they only produce fruit during certain seasons, they require much care and upkeep all year round."

    I think about how I go through seasons in my spiritual life where I produce fruit and unfortunately, seasons where I don't. Based on Jeremiah 17:7-8, I think that God desires for us to produce fruit "year-round". But even during those seasons that I don't bear fruit, the Vinedresser still prunes, fertilizes, waters, repeats, prunes, fertilizes, waters, repeats year-round.

    Thank you for this post.

    Oh and what do you think about those verses from Jeremiah? Do you think they're taken out out of context? Do you think they are talking about the same thing as John 15, or something different?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What great thoughts, Jordy. Thank you for sharing them!

      I agree- God takes care and provides for us all the time, even in the seasons where we're spiritually "dry" and not bearing much fruit. It reminds me of what Psalms 1:3 says. As long as we keep close to the Living Water, we will bear fruit! I also love those verses in Jeremiah that you shared. I think they can be applied to our lives, even though that passage was written to describe something else in a slightly different situtaion. As long as we keep in mind the rest of the chapter/passage and what it's talking about, I don't think they're taken out of context. It's quite easy to do that with other Scriptures, though, so we have to be careful!

      Thank you, Jordy, for your thoughtful comments!

      Delete

hi there, and thanks so much for leaving a comment! thoughts about what you read here make my day and I respond to each one. please keep your words kind and respectful to other readers and to our Lord- and thank you for taking the time to read. xx

 
blog Design by Beautifully Chaotic. Blog Content © 2017 by A Purpose and A Promise