6.13.2018

(Don't) Walk Away



you are standing there, face pressed into your hands
head bent low, hair tumbled, and body slumped
I pause, hands full of papers and bags and myself
the downtown street is heavy with dusk and the lights flicker
I hear the whisper but stand there, arguing with myself
you remain still, a frozen image of despair
I feel the nudge but stand there, considering my comfort 
you remain stiff, the embodiment of overwhelmed
hands nervously shaking, I walk a few steps closer
the night has fully descended now and the streetlights are glaring
my indecisiveness, my renamed excuses claw at my insides
I take a deep breath, pull my things closer- and walk away


++++++



I don't want to be the kind of person who walks away from a need that I could have met. It could be the smallest thing that means the world to someone (this post comes to mind), or it could be something a little bigger, a little bolder, that shows them Jesus. After all, there's so much in this world that we can't do anything about....so why are we passing up chances right where we are to do something? Let's be in tune to what Jesus wants us to do, and then let's do it. Whether it's to smile, to hug, to speak, to listen, or whatever it may be, let's do something. I don't want to walk away any more. 

+++++


But if anyone has the world's goods and sees his brother in need, yet closes his heart against him, how does God's love abide in him? // 1 John 3:17 









And the King will answer them, ‘Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me.’ // Matthew 25:40 


Share with the world:

14 comments:

  1. Wow, this is really good, Emily!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, Emily! I love that verse in Matthew that you shared. You never know what impact you may make in someone’s life just doing a simple action of love, or a kind word.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly... we'll never know, so that sounds like a great reason to do all we can. Thank you, Sarah! xx

      Delete
  3. What an amazing message, and I love the way you communicated it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, the moment of decision when we choose to follow Jesus or follow self... but how beautiful it is when we let Christ take control and nudge us forward. Thank you for sharing this piece, Emily! ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is an a beautiful moment, especially since it's Him in us, and not ourselves. Thank you for your comment, Hosanna! xx

      Delete
  5. This is so good! Thank you for sharing! Great choice of bible verses you put with this post!
    -Brooklyne

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, this is convicting <3 It is so tough to do things that are uncomfortable, yet you are so right. Thanks for sharing this poem, post and verses!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know- it convicts me too! How great we can encourage each other onward, right? Thanks for commenting, Jewels! xx

      Delete

hi there, and thanks so much for leaving a comment! thoughts about what you read here make my day and I respond to each one. please keep your words kind and respectful to other readers and to our Lord- and thank you for taking the time to read. xx

 
blog Design by Beautifully Chaotic. Blog Content © 2017 by A Purpose and A Promise