11.07.2018

this is good




romans 8:28
i stare at the words,
trying to understand.
they swirl around
in a jumble of complexity
like a painting
with so many splattered colors,
you can't even pick one out.
this is my life right now.
i can't even talk
when I'm just trying to breathe
so why would I understand?
all things work together
for good 
but this isn't good



romans 8:28 
my bleary eyes can't focus,
and the dark stains on my fists
feel like the bruises
of a too heavy weight
rather than yesterday's mascara.
i know He keeps His words,
but why can't i see?
why can't i feel?
what is this?
my head drops,
my face pressed against the words.
all things work together 
for good
but what is good?


~~~~~


romans 8:28
my fingers trace the words
inked onto the tattered page
but i don't need to read again-
they're a part of me now.
ever since His finger traced the words
onto my wrung-out soul,
and i felt the whisper
that flooded my being
with the meaning of good
all things work together
for good
and this is good



romans 8:28
i stare at the words,
trying to see them
as i once did before.
but i can only drop my head
and thank Him
that He is good. it is good.
others wouldn't say that
that things are good right now
because not much has changed
except my heart
and i hear the whisper again
"child, you want to know good?
good is when I'm most glorified
and all things work together
for good"

so this is good.

Share with the world:

22 comments:

  1. Ahh, loved this! What a beautiful story this poem told! Thanks so much for sharing this! <3
    -Brooklyne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for reading, Brooklyne! xx

      Delete
  2. Wow I'm in love. This is such beauty. Such raw pain and honesty and still comes out into beauty. Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gracious....thank you so much Libby! xx

      Delete
  3. This is such a stunning poem! I especially love your repetition of "Romans 8:28." Lovely work <3

    Eleanor | On the Other Side of Reality

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you enjoyed it. Thanks for stopping by! xx

      Delete
  4. Beautiful poem, Emily! It reminds me of the song King of My Heart, where the chorus echoes "You are good, You are good".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a lovely song! Thank you, Sarah! xx

      Delete
  5. Emily, this is lovely! Thank you for the encouraging reminder - He is always good. ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, sweet Hosanna! He always is. xx

      Delete
  6. What a beautiful ending. That whole last verse, Emily... <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's my favorite part.<3 Thank you, dear Jordy. xx

      Delete
  7. So incredibly beautiful. I like the depth and rawness of this one, and the ever needed reminder that He is working for good. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, thanks so much Jess! I'm so glad He always is. xx

      Delete
  8. This is so powerful. Sometimes all we can do is just trust that God means what He says, even when we're not feeling it, not seeing it. I am definitely in that space right now - sort of half-marveling at what God is doing and yet also feeling half-confused by it. Romans 8:28 (and the rest of that chapter) is one of my favorites. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, amen. You said it perfectly! Thanks for stopping by, Erin, and for your lovely comment! xx

      Delete
  9. Wow, this is amazing! Keep spreading hope, you're doing great things :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Emily! I love your blog, and it is so cute! I will give you a follow!
    ~Bailey | bluesagemountains.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

hi there, and thanks so much for leaving a comment! thoughts about what you read here make my day and I respond to each one. please keep your words kind and respectful to other readers and to our Lord- and thank you for taking the time to read. xx

 
blog Design by Beautifully Chaotic. Blog Content © 2017 by A Purpose and A Promise